About 18 months ago I had a dangerous thought - "what would I do differently if I were to start again?". The answer was "a lot"! The first 5 years of Rebrickable has taught me so much about building and running a large website, I learned about fields I didn't even know existed :)
For the last year I have been working hard on completely rebuilding Rebrickable from scratch. I estimated it would take me a year, secretly thinking I could probably do it faster. Of course, I seriously underestimated the effort required. 5 years of adding features and tweaking things on Rebrickable adds up to a significant amount of functionality that needed to be rebuilt. There were several times when I considered abandoning the attempt.
I'm very happy (and exhausted) to finally announce it's here!
A big thank you to all the testers over the last few weeks who submitted over a hundred bugs and suggestions for the beta site. Also huge thanks to the admin team who have been providing invaluable input and guideance over the last 6 months, and keeping the ship running while I've been pre-occupied!
What's New - Major Changes
Over the following weeks, I will write some posts that highlight and describe some of the new features and changes in more detail. In the mean time, here is a high level summary.
New Look with Responsive Design
- Cleaner, more consistent design
- Works well on mobile/tablet devices (40% of the traffic!)
- Better support for power users with wide screens
- A far more personalised experience with many more options to control how you use Rebrickable
Greater Build Engine Integration
- Faster, more accurate, more flexible
- Designed from scratch to be more easily integrated into other site features
- Instantly see what parts you have or are missing on any inventory
- Mark sets/MOCs as assembled to virtually remove the parts from your buildable collection
- Better accounting of lost parts and sets-within-sets
- Have some fun with your account and show off how much of a LEGO fan you are!
- Be rewarded for contributing to the Rebrickable community
Improved Part/Set Price Integration
- Far easier to find what you need and manage buying from multiple vendors
- Better filtering and relevancy of store searches
- Easily see average prices for parts in any inventory/list
- Now searches available stores for sets as well as parts
- Easily see which parts are/are not in the store you are interested in
- BrickLink search improvements with more accurate suport for duplicate lots and bulk lots
- Significant Multi-Buy improvements - run on much larger lists of parts, better algorithms, easier to use
- Grow your followers faster with easier to use Like/Follow buttons
- Better Bricksafe gallery integration with automatic slideshows of your Bricksafe pages
- Better promotion of Premium MOCs with more options coming soon
Manage Your LEGO Collection
- Improved Brickset integration - synchronise your sets to/from Brickset easier than ever
- Find your sets/parts easier with improved filtering and display options
- See estimates of what your LEGO collection is worth!
There are far too many changes to list everything. Some of the other changes worth mentioning are below.
- New end-to-end technology stack and hardware - Every single line of code is brand spanking new
- Better integration with Brickset/BrickLink/BrickOwl - Keep your LEGO Collection synchronised and accurate across sites
- Custom Lists - create general-purpose public or private lists of any Sets and/or Parts
- Set Watches - be notified when LEGO Sets drop below the price you desire
- Part Photos - we will start to collect more images of parts, including submitted photos
- Improved Set/MOC/Part submission process and approval workflow
- Improved searching/filtering of Sets and Parts
- Multiple Inventory versions for Sets that change over time or region
- Improved regional support - all currencies and times are displayed according to your local country/timezone
- Personalisation options - everyone likes different things, customise your Rebrickable experience the way you want it
- Faster automated MOC approvals if you have a history of accurate submissions
- Completely new API based on a proper REST framework plus support for multiple API keys per account
If you already have an account you will need to do a few things:
- The avatar images were cropped to square images during conversion. If your profile image does not look good anymore, please update it.
- MOC designers should review the descriptions on their MOCs. All HTML has been converted to BBCode, and if the source HTML had errors or was too complicated it may not have converted very well. Look for the Admin tab on your MOC's page to edit it.
- Designer Profiles and User Profiles have been merged. So if you have submitted public MOCs, you should check that your user profile has the correct URLs and display name. All old MOC URLs should redirect to the new ones so you should not need to update any external links pointing to Rebrickable.
- Check your settings - especialy security and notifications. Make sure your old settings converted across ok, plus there are plenty of new options available in v3 to set if you don't like the defaults.
If you encounter any problems, please use the Forums to submit bug reports or find help from others. Despite the extensive testing undertaken, there are bound to be some issues on a project this large so please be patient while things get settled in :) I'm sure there will be more changes in the coming months as I continue to tweak and improve the experience for everyone.
I know change can be hard, but I hope you all enjoy the new site as much as the old, and find it better than ever!
Welcome to Rebrickable v3!