Almost two years after launching Bricksafe, I have just completed a huge upgrade. Actually, it's a complete rebuild using different technologies and hardware using everything I've learnt about web development in the last few years.
We have certainly had a busy November. For the first time in Rebrickable's 3 year history, I have had another developer help me with code changes. As a control freak, this was pretty nerve wracking at first. However, unlike myself, Jantjeuh is a professional web developer who has also been a Rebrickable Inventory Admin for the last 4 months and at the start of November started helping me fix my dodgy code. Surprisingly he didn't run away screaming after seeing it :) He has been invaluable in refactoring a lot of code to make it easier to maintain and helping me switch to better web development workflows like using git. Thanks Jantjeuh!
October had quite a few fixes as usual, plus one major new feature in the Buy Sets page. We also saw a record number of users on the site with 100K+ unique users and 1M+ page views which is nearly twice the number from October last year.
I have just released a new feature that I wanted to write a bit more about than the usual monthly quick update. There is now a new Buy Sets page accessible from the main Sets menu that lists all the known pricing data for each official LEGO set. This data to date has been obtained from Amazon and the LEGO Online Shop. All pricing data is updated daily.
There were a huge number of small fixes and tweaks made in the last month, but no really big user features. I mostly concentrated on fixing known problems and tweaking existing features. I also spent some time beefing up the tools used by the admin team to make their life easier.
August was a busy month for me both on and off Rebrickable, but there has been plenty of changes.
You can now store multiple parts lists in your account, just like with sets. Go to your My Parts page to add new lists.
During July I focused on fixing a lot of the small nagging problems. I also spent some time on improving performance of many aspects of the site, as well as cleaned up a lot of code to make things easier to maintain.
This month was mostly about getting through the backlog of submitted sets, mocs, and other changes. I did get a few code fixes and improvements done though as described below.
You can now generate your own API key without emailing me. Go to your profile's settings page to generate...
When not playing with SPACESHIPS! I managed to get this stuff done:
API Enhancements - Some new functions and tweaks to existing ones. Details are documented at the API page.
I have been pretty poor in the past at letting people know about improvements I've made to Rebrickable. I'd much rather build something than talk about it ;) I will start trying to post regular updates for all the small stuff I usually don't mention anywhere.