AxeSlash

Build Calculations - ignore colour on a per-part basis

So currently when using the Build feature we have the option to either ignore colours for all parts, or allow similar colours for all parts.

What would be much more useful is for each user to set a field for each part as to whether they care about the colour or not.

For example, the 20T double bevel gear comes in a few different colours. I personally don't care what colour the MOC uses; I'll just use what I have in stock. I DO, however, care about the colour of the beams and panels in the same MOC.

This would need to be easily accessible, and ideally with the ability to set this option for multiple parts at once. So checkboxes on every part, with a "Check All" button at the top (so you could, for example, filter the parts list to just gears, and set them all to "ignore colour in build calculations". This would also need to affect any exported data (e.g. export the parts with 'Ignore Colour' as "Unknown Colour" (think that's ID 0?).

While you're at it, some people probably DO care about the mold variations of certain parts, but not others, so you could do the same there if there is enough call for it.

Sounds way to complex for a fast engine to handle, A middle ground would be that if you Build with "Exact Colors" you would get parts that you have in another color highlighted or marked somehow in the missing parts section. and you as a user can then decide if the less then 100% match result would be buildable with your own personal sense of completion.

I also feel that such kind of "customization" gets too complicated - not only to implement in the engine, but also too complicated for most of the users 

I would prefer it to be set by the designer of the MOC. They can set whether or not the parts they used end up being visible in the final product and that would determine if the colour needs to be exact or not. Then this only has to be a checkbox under Build Options "Use original designed colours" OR "Hidden part colours don't matter".

In a twist, I propose a variation: An option box [X] enforce same colour for just panels (to mimic aestethics)

And we need it only if the user selects <ignore> or <similar> in the sliding selector.

The effect is similar to the OP questions, but not cumbersome as to mark each and all parts we want in that precise colour.

Rationale:

An engine should be simple.

In that way, the engine has to check the equality only inside 1 list (panels) and fly on the rest...

Performance-wise, it can't be slower: because it does a <exact> match on panels, than a <ignore> search on the rest, which the engine is already capable of doing. It should sit between the 2 kind of builds.

If tested, and working good as I expect, it stays open to enhancements.

E.g

[X] enforce same colour for just panels (to mimic aesthetic)

[X] enforce same colour for just beams (to mimic aesthetic)

[X] enforce same colour for just another category worth for...