Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy

FOLLOWERS

Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy
This train is carefully crafted over the span of 6,5 years, in order to get the best representation of the big boy as possible. Designed from the ground up with drive-ability in mind. Powering this big boy are 2 large power function motor's that are fully integrated into its technic frame.

Specifications:
Pieces: 2956
Length: 112 Studs
Width: 13 Studs
Hight: 17 Studs
Weight: 2,3Kg

Update 1:
Changed most of the internal parts in the partslist to "no color/any color" as their color doesn't matter in the final build.
In the Instructions these parts will be colored RED

Update 2, the 4014 Update:
To hype everyone up for the rebirth of Union Pacific's 4014 big boy, I've decided to update the looks of my model to give it an even more realistic feel, and to make this as close to a snot build as possible.
This update includes:

• Complete color scheme update to the instructions including a dark background and a light background version.
  • Redesigned axle's detailing on all the sets of small wheels.
  • Improvement to the cabin to make the sides snot (still not smooth though) and improved stability on the front windows.
  • Redesigned number plates to be able to accommodate stickers.
  • Redesigned headlight making it more realistic and be able to accommodate stickers.
  • Added a front shield (pretty minor yes)
  • Added instructions for use of trainedbricks custom drive rods. (additional lego bricks needed are marked as spare, the required rods are listed in the instructions and in the comment section down below)

Buy this MOC

Want to buy this MOC to build? You'll need to buy the parts and the building instructions using the tabs below.
Login to hide ads!

MOC-19554

Name Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy
Designer morningstrummer
Designed 2018
Inventory 2946 parts
Theme Train > RC Train

46 COMMENTS

• 5 days, 2 hours ago maxdoucette Level 4
    Amazing! The piston work is impressive, it looks extremely painful to make work.
  • 1 month, 1 week ago jdavbar Level 3
    I noticed that you used Large flanged/blind drivers for the main engine, I was looking at building this with XL flanged/blind drivers from Big Ben Bricks for a bigger size and was wondering how much that would alter the under structure and rods?
    • 1 month, 1 week ago morningstrummer Level 11 Designed this MOC DESIGNER
      It will take a complete redesign of the bottom trucks to get that to fit, on top of that you'll most likely have to build the tender higher as well, due to the larger diameter of the xl wheels. then for the drive rods, you'll need longer ones as well, as the xl wheels stand 1 stud further apart compared to te large wheels. I think this picture gives a good example, on the top we have the big boy and on the bottom is the drivetrain for my future 844 (in the same scale as my big boy)

• 1 month, 1 week ago jdavbar Level 3
        Wow, looking at that picture, the scale between L and XL is a huge difference.  I thought the L wheels looked a bit small, but now I can see going with the XL would probably have to make the engine even longer so they can fit.  Thanks for the quick reply and picture
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago SystemLord Level 3
    Guten Morgen,
    hast Du mal bitte die passenden Decals für mich bitte? Habe die Anleitung bei Dir gekauft, aber die Decals für die Bezeichnung fehlen leider.
    Wäre nett, wenn Du die mir zukommen lassen könntest.
    Vielen Dank im voraus.
    Gruß
    • 3 months, 3 weeks ago morningstrummer Level 11 Designed this MOC DESIGNER
      HellSystemLord,
      Sadly I have to disappoint you on this one, I've tried finding it back on my pc however I don't have the original file anymore.
      I can tell you however how to recreate it:
      Just a word document where I made the text white and the surrounding black. The fonts I used was a combination of different Futura fonts, this takes a bit of trial and error to see what looks best. for the text itself I referenced the real big boy. (before the restoration)
      For printing I used regular printable sticker paper. Though I advise against this as it is a pain to take it of once it has sat for some time. Vinyl stickers would work better however they are off course more difficult to get and more expensive.
      I'm sorry I can't provide what you where hoping, however I do hope you've found this information useful.

-Marti
      • 3 months, 3 weeks ago SystemLord Level 3
        Hallo morningstrummer,
        vielen Dank für die Antwort. Schade das Sie die Datei nicht mehr haben. Ich werde es dann einmal wo anders versuchen.
        Gruß
        Ralf
  • 8 months, 3 weeks ago railroader Level 2
    Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for creating these instructions. I  just recently finished building it and test running on track and it runs perfectly. I've ordered the parts from Trained Bricks and will be making that mod as soon as they arrive.I also ordered the 4014 stickers from him. Were these made for your design? If not, hoping they will look, fit right.
    This Big Boy will be an excellent addition to my Lego Train Layout. It is 16ft x 24ft with three interconnected loops of track. I only set it up for two shows a year in the Dayton, Ohio area as setup takes a good 8 hours. 
    This Big Boy will definitely be a show stopper.
  • 11 months ago zsbzsb Level 4
    I am planning on building this, but at the moment I have no plans to run this - just have it as a static display so I don't need the power functions. How hard would it be to modify to drop the power bricks and build without?
    • 11 months ago morningstrummer Level 11 Designed this MOC DESIGNER
      It is quite simple actually.
      The motor's are the trickiest, they are structurally integrated into the front and rear engines so you'll have to design something that resembles the mounting holes on them. (4 technic 7 long beams come a long way to represent 1 motor)
      The receiver sticks out the top of the boiler, when you take it out you can cover up the hole with 4 or 6 black 50950 curved slopes.
      The battery can be replaced with eight 2x4 bricks.
      The rest can be taken out without needing replacement.
      • 10 months, 4 weeks ago zsbzsb Level 4
        Thanks for the info - I actually ended up just ordering the power bricks because in the grand scheme of things it didn't cost that much more $$ to make it powered if I ever wanted to have it run around the tracks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago DiegoCola Level 9
    Impressive MOC, as a big train fan i think i will try to build it!
  • 1 year, 1 month ago HRU Bricks Level 12 MOC Designer
    Very Very impressive and detailed build
  • 1 year, 1 month ago Victaven Level 13 MOC Designer DESIGNER
    This will be a trophy build for me in the future! Excellent build and I'm thrilled it even works on radiused curves! I can totally appreciate the amount of time invested here.
  • 1 year, 2 months ago stefan27 Level 10
    I have just ordered all the parts. I can't wait to start building this model.
  • 1 year, 2 months ago yanou5743 Level 4
    Hello. I am doing the inventory of the pieces to be able to do it. Do you have the reference of the modified parts at the wheels? (for ex: 4x Light Bluish Gray i01 Valve gear bar- 3mm thick 3 hole 3 long..)
    • 1 year, 2 months ago morningstrummer Level 11 Designed this MOC DESIGNER
      These are the ones used:
      4x Light Bluish Gray d02 Side rod- 4 holes 13 long
      4x Light Bluish Gray g01 Connecting rod- 2 holes 7 long
      4x Light Bluish Gray i01 Valve gear bar- 3mm thick 3 hole 3 long
      4x Light Bluish Gray i02 Valve gear bar- 3mm thick 2 hole 5 long
      4x Light Bluish Gray i02 Valve gear bar- 3mm thick 2 hole 6 long
      In addition to this you need to make 8 "1 long axle with stop"

It does require a slight change to the wheel carriages,
      The black "axle pin's 3L with 2L axle" need to be replaced with blue "axle pin's 2L" in the following steps:
      Page 60 step 5
      Page 61 step 17
      Page 83 step 6

You replace the 1x4 thin liftarm with the 3 long 3 hole pieces, secure these with the 1 long axle's with stop, half a stud back from what is shown in the instruction.
      Page 68 step 29
      Page 71 step 32
      Page 88 step 15

Lastly you use the 5 long valve gear bar from the wheel to the 3 long 3 hole valve gear bar, and the 6 long valve gear bar goes towards the cilinder.

Then off course try to use the images as examples.

I hope this helped
        Where can I find these Valve gear bar and Side rod ? at LEGO? If so, in which category?Sorry, I'm a little lost ..;)
        thank you in advance
          They are custom items, made by trained bricks, you can get them here:
          https://store.bricklink.com/zephyr?p=zephyr#/splash
            merci merci merci pour l'info. je vais en faire bon usage ;)
            last question, in case of buying the instructions, is it possible to have the LDD file?
              I'll have to disappointed on this one, all you will get is a pdf with step by step instructions. I honestly don't feel to comfortable having the 3d model out and about.
                I doubt that this question is a little weird but I would like to make a small change on the wheel used on the tander ... (ref 2871b,2878,57878,x1687).

I use these wheels for the same locomotive but much less Evolved.
                  In order to do that you'll have to redesign the entire tender's bottom frame, as this frame is mostly technic. In the video (at 1:28) I show the entire underside of the locomotive in case you want to know what I mean.
  • 1 year, 3 months ago Shandyman Level 18
    Clearly much effort has been expended getting the details, "just right",  I have fond memories of my father and I having one, (Rivarossi), on our model layout.  On my to do list...............Congratulations on this epic build..
  • 1 year, 3 months ago karandolph6 Level 7
    Could you show what you mean by this?  In addition to this you need to make 8 "1 long axle with stop"....  I just ordered the other parts from Trained Bricks and wanted to make sure I had everything I needed from them. Thanks. Awesome model.
  • 1 year, 3 months ago TheYeast Level 3
    I just ordered the parts I needed. Warning to all potential builders, to buy the parts I needed subtracting the cost of everything I already had was $400.
    Looking forward to building this behemoth.
    • 1 year, 3 months ago morningstrummer Level 11 Designed this MOC DESIGNER
      It gets even worse actually when you don't have any parts laying around, or if you buy everything new.
      -Studio 2.0 gives me an estimate of $820,-
      -Ordering all from bricklink gives me €600,- excluding shipping

So indeed a good heads up for people who want to invest in this model.
    • 1 year, 3 months ago TheYeast Level 3
      I just realized what the difference between a v1 and v2 receiver is. The v1 is the one they sell on the Lego website, but you need the v2. On Bricklink a used one is about $25.

DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE I ALMOST MADE! Buy the right one.
      • 1 year, 3 months ago karandolph6 Level 7
        I just finished with my last order for this one. 16 bricklink orders, one order to Big Bens, one order to Lego and my total cost with all new parts...$720. I also had custom decals made up for them which was another $30.
  • 1 year, 4 months ago mfrazier Level 4 DESIGNER
    Some of the pictures show Lego thin technic connecting rods, while others show aftermarket rods as from Trained Bricks. Your instructions have the Lego parts. Please let me know exactly which connecting rods are used, both source and specific items.
    • 1 year, 4 months ago morningstrummer Level 11 Designed this MOC DESIGNER
      They are indeed the rods from trained bricks.
      These are the ones used:
      4x Light Bluish Gray d02 Side rod- 4 holes 13 long
      4x Light Bluish Gray g01 Connecting rod- 2 holes 7 long
      4x Light Bluish Gray i01 Valve gear bar- 3mm thick 3 hole 3 long
      4x Light Bluish Gray i02 Valve gear bar- 3mm thick 2 hole 5 long
      4x Light Bluish Gray i02 Valve gear bar- 3mm thick 2 hole 6 long
      In addition to this you need to make 8 "1 long axle with stop"

It does require a slight change to the wheel carriages,
      The black "axle pin's 3L with 2L axle" need to be replaced with blue "axle pin's 2L" in the following steps:
      Page 60 step 5
      Page 61 step 17
      Page 83 step 6

You replace the 1x4 thin liftarm with the 3 long 3 hole pieces, secure these with the 1 long axle's with stop, half a stud back from what is shown in the instruction.
      Page 68 step 29
      Page 71 step 32
      Page 88 step 15

Lastly you use the 5 long valve gear bar from the wheel to the 3 long 3 hole valve gear bar, and the 6 long valve gear bar goes towards the cilinder.

Then off course try to use the images as examples.

I hope this helped
  • 1 year, 4 months ago Legofett Level 9
    Just a question on the wheels. I like the silver ones you have on it. Where are they from. Thanks in advance
      They are regular lego wheels, I painted the edge silver to give the train a more authentic look. If you look closely at the pictures you can even see the paint rubbing off from the flanges.
  • 1 year, 4 months ago TurboRatRods Level 32 MOC Designer PRO
    Totally amazing!!!

I have seen the Big Boy in the Cheyenne WY city park and seen it's little brother the Challenger running down the tracks in Laramie WY.  This is an amazing replica you have built!  Maybe you should contact the Union Pacific and work out a deal to build one for them.

Thanks for posting - Great start for what I expect to be a wonderful day.
      Thanks man,

Lucky you man, I would love to see the big boy one day, if possible the 4014 when it's under steam again.
      Talking about the 4014, UP should in my opinion do a collab with lego for when the restoration is complete. Might actually give a lot of people some interest in steam locomotives again.
      • 1 year, 4 months ago TurboRatRods Level 32 MOC Designer PRO
        Is the resto really happening?  Heard about rumors a few years ago, but didn't know if they actually started.

The coolest thing about any real steam engine, at least in my opinion, is maximum torque at Zero RPM!!!
  • 1 year, 4 months ago stefan27 Level 10
    Very impressive. Can this big boy use the standard lego curves?
      It is able to run fully on standard lego track, though it is a little tricky sometimes to get it to run trough switches.
  • 1 year, 4 months ago Legofett Level 9
    Very impressive.  Nice job, now on my to do list.
to your account to add or reply to comments.
Already have some of the parts? Use the Build this MOC page to only show the parts you are missing.
Create an account to change the default filters used.

Waiting for Inventory to load

Instructions:
PDF - Computer Images
Cost:

Please Log In

Sorry, but you need to be logged in to buy these instructions so that you can download them again at any time. Login or quickly signup using the form below.
Help Guide - BI File Types