General Motors 1950's "Aerotrain" - The Train of the Future

FOLLOWERS

163

LIKES

The experimental Aerotrain was built by General Motors using hard riding bus bodies for coaches, a new untested (and quite complicated) air cushion suspension system, and an under-powered motor originally made for switching locomotives.

Two of these ill-fated trains were built in the 1950's as a way to entice passengers back onto the railroads and out of their automobiles. The hard-coupled unit had one engine and 10 cars attached, including the observation car. These low-slung units toured the United States as a test of it's abilities. Needless to say, it was a tremendous failure. It toured on four roads including the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe, New York Central, Pennsylvania Railroad, & Union Pacific before eventually being sold to the Rock Island for Chicago Commuter Service. In 1966, after less than a decade of service, one locomotive & two cars were sold to the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin, while the other locomotive and two cars were sold to The Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, Missouri.

Model Notes:
The original train had ten cars, which would be hard to do in Lego (and it's kinda pointless as 9 of then are identical) I have five cars on my train, four identical coaches and one observation coach on the end. My Inspiration for this model came from this Brickshelf account here: www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=497396 and I give 99% of the credit for the model to Brickshelf user enquete-art. The other 1% comes from me, such as the reworked wheels, front and back windshields, window SNOT work and using this numbered tile in red: www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3070bpb063

The train can come apart (unlike the prototype Aerotrain) into 6 sections: 1 engine, 4 coaches, 1 observation coach. I also removed the expensive ($$$) train wheels in light gray with small single wheels. (They may give off more friction though, so be warned!)
Login to hide ads!

MOC-2728

Name General Motors 1950's "Aerotrain" - The Train of the Future
Designer Murdoch17
Designed 2014
Inventory 1552
Theme Train
Star Wars™ Imperial Star Destroyer™
Already have some of the parts? Use the Build this MOC page to only show the parts you are missing.
Create an account to change the default filters used.

Waiting for Inventory to load

Use LEGO Digital Designer to open these files and generate step by step building instructions.