Predator Supercar

FOLLOWERS

2015 Technic Supercar with steering, gearbox, independent suspension and more...

Predator is the result of several months of work and is inspired by exotic supercars like for example Koenigsegg, Pagani, Bugatti and Gumpert. What most of those cars have in common is that they all have their unique character despite their clean and generic supercar look. The idea was to give Predator a similar identity, keeping things clean, but still give it a unique and clear supercar styling. But its uniqueness should not be limited to its looks alone; also what's going on under the shell should give it a little extra, covering some innovative ideas.

Specs & Features

- L x W x H (studs): 59 x 31 x 13

- # of parts: 1797

- The heart of the car consists of a V8 engine;

- A vertical positioned gearbox is located right behind the engine and transfers its power directly to the rear wheels;

- the 6 different speeds (5+R) can be manually selected with the gearstick between the seats and has a one to one mechanical connection to the gearbox with some linkages;

- All wheels are suspended independently with double wishbones;

- The front wheels are steered through either steering wheel or HOG and include ackermann geometry;

- Front axle also has positive caster angle and kingpin inclination. Bump steer is minimized due to the low location of the steering rod;

- Gullwing doors which can be controlled from directly above the airintakes on the side and include a wormwheel configuration;

- Bonnet and engine cover can be opened as well, but this is done manually and they have a built-in limitation of their respective opening angle. They stay open due to friction.

Most of the parts should be quite common and easy to obtain. If however the wheelcovers are a big problem, I'd suggest the following alternative in which to use LBG wheels and black (4285b) radar dishes. The result of how that looks can be seen on my website .

Buy this MOC

Want to buy this MOC to build? You'll need to buy the parts and the building instructions using the tabs below.
Login to hide ads!

MOC-2811

Name Predator Supercar
Designer NKubate
Designed 2015
Inventory 1797
Theme Technic

50 COMMENTS

• 6 days, 4 hours ago olivierz (1561) MOC Designer
    The first time I built it I was wondering where to plug a motor to be able to test the gearbox. Now I'm building it again, and I found (see photo). Unfortunatly the gearbox doesn't seem fit to actually be used.. I observed several problems:

- the fact that it's vertical causes its weight to push down on the gears lower to the ground, causing significant friction (not helped by the fact that the 16T clutch gears are exactly 1L wide so have absolutely no play).
    - the three 24T & two 8T grears on the top have nothing on top of them to stabilize them, so they vibrate, especially the 8T ones, causing rattling and friction (visually, the vibration even causes a funny stroboscopic effect).
    - those same two 8T gears have a much less tight connection to their axle than the 24T, and as a result there are slowly pushed away (and eventually pop out). I was thinking of securing them all with a beam, but it's not possible since the rear part of the frame sits exactly on them.

Too bad, because it's such a nice box & shifter setup otherwise :)
  • 1 month ago olivierz (1561) MOC Designer
    I've built a few big-scale cars, and this one is still my favorite!
    My only 'complaint' would be that the frame is not detachable. With a few changes I've made it somewhat detachable, but still not very clean..

I also like the fact that it's 'no-brand'. I find Lego is now too much about how well an existing car/machine can be reproduced.
    • 1 month ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Thanks Olivierz for your kind words! Glad to read that you enjoyed the build so much. It's one of those aspects that I spent a lot of time on, but is difficult to communicate, because you have to experience it. And I agree that nowadays there is too much focus on replicating an existing vehicle rather than designing one from scratch.
  • 3 months ago __I__ (2K)
    It'd been a fair few months since I built this and it's been displayed on one of my shelves ever since. Every time I'd look up at it, there it was staring back at me and I wasn't happy with the mods to the nose I'd previously made. So, during some time off work this week I re-visited it and made some changes again to the nose, but also the seat head rests (which are now adjustable) and also added an extra spring to each rear wheel as the suspension before felt spongy

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwwdGxp
    • 2 months, 4 weeks ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Thanks for sharing! Glad to read that your model is still built and that you continue modifying the model to your own wishes.
      • 2 months, 4 weeks ago __I__ (2K)
        Still wasn't happy with the altered nose, so 3rd nose-job :D
  • 9 months ago Charly71 (2K)
    What would be really good sets to start collecting the required pieces? 42069 seems the best from my ‚collection‘, but I am a bit lost as it seems ‚wrong‘.
    • 7 months, 2 weeks ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Sorry for the late reply. Tried to answer you earlier on, but without success due to some error. To answer your question, it depends a bit which colour you want to build this model in, but I recommend some type of car model like 42039, 42077 or perhaps 42000 to begin with. Then I would complement with 42043 or 42025. This should give you a decent inventory to start with.
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago jeffmcclain (3K) MOC Designer
    Built mine.  I don't know how many times (especially on the panneling) I just sat back after completing a certain section and just said..."Wow!!"  The profile is amazing.  The instructions are well thought out and it builds VERY well and straight forward (I think I've been spoiled, because the Koenigsegg is really irritating).  The vertical gear box is interesting, but binds and is not the best (but neither is the Porsche).  I may go back in and fix it up a bit (I'm sure there is some tight gears and stuff that is making it bind).  For me, this car was just about aesthetics and amazingly sleek lines.  I loved this car a lot more than I thought I would.

Pay attention in the middle of the build and make sure to set out the part counts for that step, as there are a lot of things going on that makes it easy to miss something not even related to the main part of the model build...not a huge deal, but the porsche takes it a little more slowly per step and all the build happens in one area to keep your focus.

I felt like the orange bottom line theme needed to be applied a little under the doors (the 1x8 plate and 1x6 tile) and the front 1x2 narrow technic liftarms just behind the front wheels got a conversion to orange and it really ties the color all around.
    • 11 months, 2 weeks ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Thank you for taking the time to write an honest review in which you highlight both the good parts and the more problematic aspects of the model. Nice to see your modifications too. I hope that the overall experience has been a positive one.
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago __I__ (2K)
    Done, although I modified the nose, bonnet, dashboard and rear spoiler...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157704002125885
    • 11 months, 3 weeks ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Nice modifications, thanks for sharing! I hope you're satisfied with the overall experience.
      • 11 months, 3 weeks ago __I__ (2K)
        Thanks NKubate. Yeah, the gearbox is certainly different :)
        Apologies for the alterations. It's just my personal taste + I couldn't decide whether to keep the DTM style wheel covers or not + I'm not happy with the altered headlights. I'm gonna have a tweak over the coming weekend
  • 1 year ago __I__ (2K)
    This is my next build. I'm intrigued by the vertical gearbox and it's linkage mechanisms
  • 1 year, 5 months ago 1963maniac (12K) MOC Designer
    This is a great MOC! When I built this, I had a lot of trouble shifting the transmission, it wasn't very smooth. But, I did enjoy building it and the BI were well done.
  • 1 year, 7 months ago Mestari (3K) MOC Designer
    Finally built mine :)
    I had several WOW moments along the way, much more then usually ;)
    Panelling work is excellent, I had a LOT of fun building the front suspension, the linkage system is pure brilliance. This is also properly sturdy model, finally :) I thought it was not possible with liftarms. There is also that constant feeling that every part, every solution took a lot of time to achieve. This is a rare feeling and this feels like a premium MOC...

I also had a couple of problems that I would like to describe here. I read on Eurobricks some people had similar problems.
    1. The gearbox - I wasn't able to build it in a way that it would run smoothly. The culprits were the 20t tooth gears which constantly rub against liftarms. The vertical position doesn't help, as gravity makes it even more of a problem. The result is I can have it running only on neutral and 5th gear (if not running fast). Other than that the 12t gear in the differential "skips". Sometime I will rebuild this. I read after building mine, that people took even an hour to get this part of the build straight...
    2. Front suspension keeps on braking. The problem is with the black pin part number 6628 which keeps on coming out of the L liftarm at even the slightest compression of the suspension.
    3. Front wheels rub against some parts when fully turned (not a big problem)
    4. The HOG parts are very loose and fall out easily.

Now, problems 2 and 4 may be very dependent on parts, I may have some that have too little friction. Similarly with 1, some people were able to come to terms with the gearbox only with some selected parts from their inventory, but still, a gearbox that works with any would be even better :)
    • 1 year, 7 months ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Thank you for taking the time to write an extensive review and provide some constructive feedback. It seems the more complex a model becomes, the likelier it is that people will have some issues with it either during the build or once the model is finished. I tried my best to reduce the sensitive areas to a bare minimum, but must realize that i haven't fully succeeded with it. But this only makes  me more determined to do better next time! Thanks again, and I hope that you're still satisfied overall.
      • 1 year, 7 months ago Mestari (3K) MOC Designer
        Absolutely! The model is great. I just had a feeling you might want to hear about possible issues people may have.
        Thank for your reply and I hope you do plan to release something new in not too distant future. This would be the UCS technic series as it should be ;)
  • 1 year, 10 months ago bambalero (1516) PRO
    I just finished building this beauty yesterday.

I will not go into details on the marvelous mechanics of the gearbox and how real-life the gear shift is planned and executed, many of you have pointed that out. But, let´s look at some ideas that made me pause the building and just amaze at the build. 

For example, how the helicopter blades make great air intakes, the flawless working of the gullwing doors, how throughout the building there is always an element of robustness, the tile on the underside of the doors, the Ford GT-90 whiff on the back of the car, the angles, the menacing profile, the way the windshield and windows use the technic links for shaping, the orange elements that really make the model stand out out of the white scheme, I could go on and on.....

Kudos to the instructions, so well made, so clear, very rarely I came across into some confusion...

This is truly a SUPER car. I can not stop staring at it. If I had all the parts to spare I would never take it apart.. Sadly, some time this year it will live on only on photos & video.

Thank you very much Nathanael.
    • 1 year, 10 months ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review. Much appreciated! I spent a lot of time and energy to provide an enjoyable experience. I take any type of critique very seriously, and although my models always have room for improvement, it's also really nice to read someone's appreciation, because that provides me joy, satisfaction and the drive to keep on building. So thank you so kindly!
  • 2 years, 5 months ago guilford (840)
    This build was a lot of fun to put together. The ingenuity of the transmission and the shift mechanism are both really great. It's also a good looking model when finished. Of all the Technic cars I've built, this is my wife's favorite because of the low slung stance. I debated for a long time on the wheel covers because I didn't already own them, but when I saw a set of four on BrickLink for a not-too-outrageous price, I had to get them to truly "complete" the build. The instructions were easy to follow and well worth the price considering how much time and engineering must have gone into creating this outstanding MOC.
    • 2 years, 5 months ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Thank you for taking the time to write some kind words. Glad to read you enjoyed the build and that your wife also likes the looks of the end result. Those are not always easy to communicate and need to be experienced in real life.
  • 2 years, 6 months ago 1963maniac (12K) MOC Designer
    I built this when it was first posted.
  • 2 years, 7 months ago Eolindel (682)
    It is said that in front of a masterpiece, you don't need an explanation why. It is clearly the case here !

It deserves every praise and penny spent for it. The look is stunning. The use of every piece is done with a clear purpose. The front suspension is a piece of art. The build of the gearbox is beautiful as well. The paneling is really smooth. The instructions are concise yet clear.

The only downside (if one has to find any) is that there are quite a lot of parts who do not survive to small child play (2-4 years old :  the front suspension pops out of the rotula and the back of the car is easily removed as it holds only with two pins). This is the price of a great look and care for details.

I highly recommend to anyone who can afford to to have the experience of building the predator (super)car.
    • 2 years, 7 months ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Thank you for your kind words! Glad to read that you are satisfied with the overall experience. And yes, I know it's not suitable for young children to play with... Perhaps next time I should add a disclaimer and age restriction.
      • 2 years, 7 months ago Eolindel (682)
        A disclaimer would be useless. It is quite clear and expected from the beginning. 

Even with smaller models it is the same! Again your model is really stunning from start to end.
  • 3 years, 3 months ago BrickbyBrickTechnic (13K) MOC Designer
    Whoever made this video basically showed off exactly how the gear shifter works: the most interesting part of the build.
  • 4 years ago ConteZero (515)
    Hi Nathanaël,

your Predator Supercar is awsome! It's a real pleasure to build it and admire ;).

Congratulation!
  • 4 years, 1 month ago Chazzmo (1788)
    Built it...in black.
    • 4 years, 1 month ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Cool! Any pics to share? Hopefully you're pleased with the result.
      • 3 years, 6 months ago Chazzmo (1788)
        Sure. How do you upload pics?
        • 3 years, 6 months ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
          Unfortunately you cannot directly upload pics here on Rebrickable. But if you have pics uploaded somewhere else (e.g. brickshelf, bricksafe, flickr,...) you could create a link to there. If not, no sweat.
  • 4 years, 2 months ago marcus.J (1173)
    ich kann nur Sagen dazu das Bilder zu Ihrem Schönen Moc mehr als tausend Worte sagen !
    PERFEKT !! Super weiter so
  • 4 years, 2 months ago pingel (997)
    Added a small detail to my build - a rear mirror:
    2x15100 (Black Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Pin Hole)
    1x4274 (White Technic, Pin 1/2)
    1x3710 (White Plate 1 x 4)
    2x3069b (Chrome Silver Tile 1 x 2 with Groove)

There should be only one way to assemble these - ask if in doubt. And NK even made room for it with an unused pinhole front, middle inside the cabin!

(I doubt the driver will be able to see anything through that mirror, but I find it to add a nice touch to the model)
  • 4 years, 2 months ago moscu (45)
    The best so far
  • 4 years, 2 months ago C0lsanders_ (61)
    Just plain awesome.

Edit: Built, still awesome. Probably soon to be RC.

Edit 2: Is now RC, with lights. Still awesome, of course.
  • 4 years, 3 months ago pingel (997)
    Finished it. Awesome car, and the instructions were really, really easy to follow. Only rarely was it hard to figure out where pins should go. Excellent job NK!
  • 4 years, 3 months ago gonzilla (9K) MOC Designer
    Simply incredible, Mr. K!!
  • 4 years, 3 months ago brosephous (111)
    Quite awesome. I am regularly amazed by the skill, talent, and ingenuity exhibited in top-tier MOCs such as this. This design is a great achievement.
  • 4 years, 6 months ago Cavan64 (20)
    How much to buy all parts???
    • 4 years, 6 months ago NKubate (6K) MOC Designer DESIGNER
      Depends a little how much you already have, where you buy parts and if you want an exact replica. Estimation is €350 - €400 or US $400 - US $450.
    • 4 years, 3 months ago pingel (997)
      Hi Cacan64.
      This model is not particularly expensive compared to some of the red cars which have part in very rare colors. Well worth every € (IMHO).
  • 4 years, 7 months ago Aniomylone (8K) MOC Designer
    Most innovative Technic supercar over the last 15 years.
  • 4 years, 7 months ago jantjeuh (60K) PRO
    I will repeat my short 'review' over at EB here:

[I can say] that this is easily the best MOC I've ever built (and I've built a lot!). The car itself obviously looks amazing (the pictures don't do it justice, you have to see it in 'real life'), but more importantly the quality of its design is unbelievable. The only one to even slightly come close to achieving this level of perfection in design is Madoca, IMO. Not a single part is needlessly used, every feature is stunningly implemented (especially the gearbox and front axle are technical marvels to behold), there are plenty of novel and very clever tricks used, and it's simply all-in-all an absolute joy to build. A must-build for every Technic fan. The bar for supercar MOCs, or even Technic MOCs in general, has been raised spectacularly!

P.S.: If TLG ever started a Technic UCS series, this car should be the first one in it. Brilliant work by Nathanaël, truly. Major kudos.
to your account to add or reply to comments.
Already have some of the parts? Use the Build this MOC page to only show the parts you are missing.
Create an account to change the default filters used.

Waiting for Inventory to load

Instructions:
PDF - Computer Images
Cost:

Please Log In

Sorry, but you need to be logged in to buy these instructions so that you can download them again at any time. Login or quickly signup using the form below.
Help Guide - BI File Types
Submitted by olivierz Nov. 13, 2019
In original color, but with slight modifications to make the frame somewhat detachable. Since it wasn't designed for that, the detach process is not so simple and not so clean, though.
Submitted by olivierz Nov. 8, 2019
Motor attached on the top of the fake engine, driving the axle that runs below.
Submitted by bgkim Sept. 3, 2019
Submitted by bgkim Sept. 2, 2019
Submitted by __I__ Aug. 17, 2019
Submitted by rcjoce April 23, 2019
Submitted by jeffmcclain Dec. 2, 2018
Submitted by ifilin Nov. 26, 2018
Submitted by __I__ Nov. 25, 2018
Submitted by lego_rules June 5, 2018
Submitted by bmollema March 17, 2018
Submitted by shijialin88 Nov. 27, 2017
Submitted by OneMoreRobot PRO Sept. 10, 2017
Submitted by Phil_D Aug. 17, 2017
Submitted by Phil_D Aug. 17, 2017
Submitted by Phil_D July 8, 2017
Submitted by shijialin88 June 3, 2017
Submitted by Nathan ADMIN May 21, 2017
Underneath the gear box. Click image to see the animation.
Underneath
Side profile. Note that I did not add the hub caps as they were too expensive to buy!