Motorized Bus

FOLLOWERS

I started building this model more than a year ago. My spare time is rather limited since I'm a student, and I've been working on other projects as well, but there's still a lot of work behind this creation. The doors were the most challenging things to build and it took a very long time to get them right, I've rebuilt that mechanism at least five times. It was also very hard to make a mechanism that would fit under the roof of the bus and not be visible through the windows.

It has actually been finished for a while now but the instructions are finally ready so now I can publish it here as well.

This model features:
Drive, powered by two L-motors
Steering, powered by a Servo Motor
Opening front and back doors powered by two M-motors
It also has a very detailed fake V6 engine in the back.

Dimensions:  about 75x25x26 studs, or 60x20x21 cm

Please check out the video where you can see all the features in action, and please give a like and/or comment your thoughts!

/HallBricks

PF connection guide: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cEJQyrDZC_TmNUhPNoQzWydKjD_SvpzC
Login to hide ads!

MOC-5161

Name Motorized Bus
Designer HallBricks
Designed 2016
Inventory 2673
Theme Technic

50 COMMENTS

• 1 year, 6 months ago hjos (716)
    <deleted>
    • 1 year, 6 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
      Hi! I'm happy to hear that you want to build my MOC. 

I will take a photo of just the electronic parts and how they are connected, but it won't be ready until tomorrow. Hope you're okay with that, it's quite late here in Sweden now and I need to get up early tomorrow ;-)

/HallBricks
      • 1 year, 6 months ago hjos (716)
        <deleted>
        • 1 year, 6 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
          I created a guide by drawing in the original instructions. I hope it will help you, if not you can contact me again and I'll do my best to help you. 

I first thought of connecting all the PF parts and take a photo of them, but all the electronics were inside future MOCs and were difficult to take out. 

PF connection guide
  • 1 year, 7 months ago aegir (2K) MOC Designer
    This MOC is just splendid! Door mechanism and everything else is just awesome. Thanks for sharing this!
  • 1 year, 8 months ago joselego (81)
    Spectacular!! Thanks for sharing it!!
    It's a pleasure to admire your technic mastery!
  • 1 year, 10 months ago Tatooandy67 (124)
    What a fantastic moc, love the sliding doors, engine bay is cool, and the destination signs are ace.....just love it, it’s different and a very good looking moc
    edit to add the colour scheme looks great too
    • 1 year, 10 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
      Thank you for your kind words! Always happy to hear your thoughts!
  • 2 years ago alegabi (6K) MOC Designer
    Excellent MOC. Red or blue are equally nice. See photos. Fantastic door mechanism. Congrats
    • 2 years ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
      I saw your pictures, thank you for sharing them! It's always fun to see what others do with my creation. I'm happy that you like the door mechanism, I can tell you I spent quite a lot of time on it.
  • 2 years, 3 months ago ShirleyBrick (2K)
    Great MOC!!! Like it a lot. But the blue panel is too expensive, so I would like to change the color scheme. Could you provide the LLD file that generates the instruction. I want to try some different combination of colors to see how it looks. Thanks a lot!
      BTW, I just subscribed the pro plan, but I want to cancel it immediately. The color switching function is useless (I expected something cooler).
      • 2 years, 3 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
        Thank you! The blue panels are expensive indeed, and I had to buy every single one of them :-)
        The instructions were created using LDraw, and I uploaded the .ldr file. I tried to import it to LDD but the result was terrible, so you will need LDraw in order to open and edit the file. 

I thought about upgrading to PRO just for the color changing feature, but I've changed my mind now after what you said.
          Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to use LDraw. 

For the pro plan, I do not recommend it at all. It just replaces colors from the inventory and it sometimes even generates color error, you know.

I actually really like the blue color, so I am trying to only replace the roof to reduce some blue panels. I will see what I can get.
            Sorry, if you don't have LDraw installed do not install it :-) 
            Use BrickLink's Stud.io instead. It's linked to BrickLink, so it checks the availability and price of parts and colors simultaneously as you are building, and it can import LDraw files. Note that the bus will be imported as a locked submodel, and you'll have to click on the small padlock on the right hand side.
            The roof and some other parts are also submodels, and will look like a single part at first. Select them and click "release" above the parts library. You have probably used Stud.io already but I'm telling you just in case you haven't. It's quite a huge file for the software to work with, so it won't run super smoothly, unless you have a true monster computer :-)
              I am new to MOC/MOD, so the tips are very useful. Thanks!!!
            • 2 years, 2 months ago ShirleyBrick (2K)
              Finally finished building this beauty. It is even longer than Arocs! I like it more after I built it. The door mechanism is smart and it is amazing that you can hide everything. I changed the roof to a blue-white color scheme. It turned out to be satisfying for me. Thanks for this great MOC!
              • 2 years, 2 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
                Thank you so much for sharing your pictures! I'm very happy that you enjoyed building my model. I think the roof looks really good, blue and white is a combination that works very well.
  • 2 years, 6 months ago G-Power (3K)
    Wow! Nice job on the details!
    I never would of succeeded to make such a model.
    By the way, it could be awesome if the 2x4 tiles that stand for mirrors were silver-coloured. That way they would actually be functional!

P.S: May you please tell me what the size of your bus is?
    • 2 years, 6 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
      Thank you for your kind words! I actually wasn't sure if I were going to succeed either, a lot of rework was done, especially on the doors. Unfortunately I didn't have any 2x4 tiles with mirror stickers applied, not silver colored either. I agree, that would've looked even better. 

I forgot sharing the dimensions in the project description, it measures 75x25x26 studs, or 60x20x21 cm.

/hallbricks
        Wow. That's huge!
        Did you get to fit suspensions in?
        • 2 years, 6 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
          Yeah, it's a massive model. A rigid, yet flat, base was crucial to make the finished model both look good and work well. For this reason, I decided not to include suspension in this model since I thought it wasn't the most important feature, and getting the base as robust as needed was already difficult enough without the inclusion of suspension.
            That's fine.
            Anyways, a bus doesn't have to be all terrain!

P.S; Thank you for this awesome model!
  • 2 years, 8 months ago mocbuild101 (5K) MOC Designer
    Nice MOC! It's great that you made a bus because it's a nice change from cars and trucks.
  • 2 years, 9 months ago BertZelf (3K) MOC Designer
    Great design. Waiting for missing parts and will need to compromize with gray panels (blue ones are TOO expensive for me at the moment)
    You probably already know that in the instruction at step 96 the colors of
    the rear lights are not symetrical. In your movie they look better ;-)
    Will build soon!
    And will try to get some PF-leds in there for light and blinking. Will use
    sBrick instead of IR-remotes, so have enough ports to add them.
    • 2 years, 9 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
      I'm happy to hear that you like it and want to build it. The blue 11x5 panels are expensive indeed, at the time I made my purchase Lego Bricks and Pieces fortunately had them in stock much cheaper than on BrickLink. 
      I also considered using SBrick, but I decided to stay with 100% lego. Sounds like a great idea to add lights though!

I didn't actually notice the mistake in the instructions, I guess I just wanted to finish them as quickly as possible... it took some serious amount of time. Thanks for telling me, it would be way to much work to fix it though :-)

/HallBricks
      • 2 years, 9 months ago BertZelf (3K) MOC Designer
        Creating the building instructions is a tough job and you did a great job on it.
        NO need to do an update just to switch the back light colors.
        Made me smile when I saw it. Thanks again.
        • 2 years, 5 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
          Thanks for uploading the photo! Knowing that other Lego enthusiasts out there build your own creation is one of the best parts with designing them.

The bus looks great with lights, what are the orange lights in the front top?
          Looks like you went with a yellow and black color scheme, I imagine that looks great too. 

/hallbricks
          • 2 years, 5 months ago BertZelf (3K) MOC Designer
            Rats, I wrote a comment and it vanished. OK, retry:
            The orange lights come from an ancient Brick 1 x 4 [Two Bulbs] Partno: 4771
            I would not say I used a color scheme ;-) But it looks acceptable. Function is more my thing. A side view:
            • 2 years, 5 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
              I think it looks quite good, not a mix of random colors. I don't think anyone has all the blue parts needed without a BrickLink order or two. But I agree with you, function comes prior to design. 

I hope you're happy with the model and that it works well. The front door can be tricky to get to work smoothly if it's built to tightly. Thank you for sharing your pictures!
  • 3 years, 2 months ago Donald11 (1244)
    Superb effort. Very well thought out and applied door mechanisms. Most impressed. Would have liked to see double wheel at the rear for aesthetic reasons, but even so, kudos to you.
  • 3 years, 3 months ago fpallas (1013)
    es estupendo este montaje muchas gracias por las instrucciones en cuanto pueda lo voy a montar
  • 3 years, 3 months ago Ogellrig (29)
    What a brilliant bus, nice colors too. Once I gathered all the parts I'll try and make 'm!
  • 3 years, 3 months ago Chade (2K) MOC Designer
    Like others have said, this is a beautifully made bus. Hopefully I can get enough parts together to build it!
  • 3 years, 3 months ago PHIL2828 (290)
    such an awesome model hope u have more ideas coming :)
    • 3 years, 3 months ago HallBricks (3K) MOC Designer
      There will be more coming. It takes some time though :)
  • 3 years, 3 months ago bambalero (1516) PRO
    Hello,

I know it is much to ask, but maybe you can create 2 variations here in Rebrickable? One with yellow pieces and one with red ones, instead of the blue (which looks awesome, but I know that years of yellow cranes and red cars will be in better supply shape). Then I could check if my % goes up (it is now in 85.2%)
      Hello!

I'm happy that you're interested in building my model! I know that blue is a somewhat unusual color in LEGO Technic so far, and I had almost no blue parts myself before I bought all parts needed for this model. I know that more people would be able to build it if it was built in red or yellow for example, but I decided to go for blue since I thought it looked good and it was fun to choose a more rare color.

Making two more projects here at rebrickable would take some time, but it would also require me to create two more versions of the building instructions. Making instructions takes a LOT of time and I don't feel too enthusiastic about going through that process two more times, even though I just have to change the color of all the blue parts. Unfortunately I will not submit more versions of this model, I will use that time for building my next creation instead.

As I had to buy almost all the blue parts I wanted to use as few different types of parts in blue as possible, so they aren't too many. I suggest you take a look at the parts list below, and check your 'My Parts' tab on your profile. Maybe you could compare the parts count of the blue parts with how many you own in red or yellow.

I'm sorry that I couldn't help you, but as I said, I don't really want to spend more time on this project. I hope you will still be able to check if you own the required parts by doing it the 'manual' way.
      In a future version of rebrickable it would be nice to see a feature that allows you to replace a certain color with another and recalculate the build.

/HallBricks
      • 3 years, 3 months ago bambalero (1516) PRO
        Hallbricks,

Fully understood and again thanks for this awesome model. I will review this manually. Congratulations again on this awesome MOC and will share pictures when I build this (on yellow or red!)
          Hi again! I would really like to see how the model looks in a different color. Thank you! :)
  • 3 years, 3 months ago filsawgood (3K) MOC Designer
    Very cool bus! Like!
  • 3 years, 3 months ago bazza (1055)
    Built this over 2 days without any problems, works brilliantly. Everyone who has seen it jaw drops when I show them the workings, especially the doors.
Load More Comments
to your account to add or reply to comments.
Already have some of the parts? Use the Build this MOC page to only show the parts you are missing.
Create an account to change the default filters used.

Waiting for Inventory to load

Help Guide - BI File Types

This MOC also has a 3D digital file available (eg LDD, MPD, etc): 3D Model

Submitted by KnutBär July 9, 2019
Submitted by KnutBär July 9, 2019
Submitted by joonghyung Aug. 9, 2018
Submitted by joonghyung Aug. 9, 2018
Submitted by mocpman July 27, 2018
Submitted by BertZelf July 22, 2018
Submitted by dede_aja_tuh May 11, 2018
Submitted by dede_aja_tuh March 19, 2018
Submitted by dede_aja_tuh March 19, 2018